In 1899, Frank Vernon Skiff founded Jewel in Chicago, Illinois, as a door-to-door coffee delivery service. In 1902, Skiff partnered with Frank P. Ross, renaming the venture the Jewel Tea Company. In 1929, the company built a new office, warehouse, and coffee roasting facility in suburban Barrington, Illinois, creating hundreds of local jobs despite the Great Depression. Area residents nicknamed the new, five-story headquarters the "Gray Lady" due to its sophisticated art deco style.
The company's expansion continued throughout the mid-20th century. In 1932, Jewel acquired the Chicago unit of Loblaw Groceterias, Inc., then a chain of 72 self-service stores, as well as four Chicago grocery stores operated by the Middle West Stores Company, and began operating them under the name Jewel Food Stores In 1934, Jewel Food Stores merged with Jewel Tea Company. In 1957, Jewel acquired Eisner Food Stores, located in downstate Illinois and west central Indiana (Lafayette, West Lafayette, Indiana), and in 1981, the Eisner stores were converted to the Jewel name. Also in 1981, Jewel sold its home shopping service, which now operates under the name "J.T's General Store".
"Jewel-Osco employs more than 45,000 associates. Its customer base gives it a 45 percent share of the grocery market in Chicago.
Consumers from 80 percent of all households in the Chicago metropolitan area visit a Jewel-Osco store at least once a month.
On January 10, 2013, Supervalu announced the sale of Jewel food stores to Cerberus Capital Management in a $3.3 billion deal.
Thanks to Nancy Benoit for posting the photo on the Facebook page Memories of 95th St 1960's to 1970's