Mar 2, 2013

Great American Horse Race to Chicago


Old Joe Gillespie and John Berry pose with their horses, Billy Mack and Poison, in front of the thousand mile tree that marked the finish line of the Chadron to Chicago cowboy race.

In 1893 western cowboys conducted an endurance horse race from Cahdron, Nebraska, to the Chicago World's Fare.  Buffalo Bill Cody gave the awards to the hard riding cowboys and their horses.

Click for the entire story.

http://www.thelongridersguild.com/chadron.htm

__

Craig great story. I remember that, every time I competed at the Stock Yards Rodeo, WGN and a Chicago magazine called Fans would run a small feature, front page on the mag, about the Chicago cowboy. My Mom thought that if
she went to see me ride, I would get seriously injured, so the only times she ever saw me was on the news on WGN.

Tom Schildhouse  MPHS Jan 66



No comments:

Post a Comment