Mar 8, 2013

Another MPHS Horsing Around Story


Okay - not a rodeo story, but a friend's horse had not been ridden for some time and the younger kids wanted to ride it. (This was right after high school so I was an old kid). They asked me to ride it to make sure it was okay for the younger ones. 

Long story short - I went to change into jeans, the horse was saddled when I came out, got on with out checking the saddle, saddle was not tight, got to the far end of the pasture, saddle slipped under the horse, thus, I did too, foot was tangled in the stirrup, got dragged back to the barn where the horse was caught. Don't know how it was possible, cause I was dragged by my foot, not my head, but my undies were full of grass and gravel. I think I'm still, to this day, picking grass and gravel out of my a....

Pam 
Smith Morrissey '66



__

Loosening the cinch was a GREAT practical joke in the day. We learned VERY quickly to always check your saddle.

Tom Schildhouse

__


When we were little kids we would go out in the pasture to capture Trigger the horse.  You could attract him with oats.  He would come over to the oats which we placed on the ground. With his head on the ground we could climb on his neck facing to his rear. When he brought his head up we could shinny on to his back, then turn around and face forward. Of course there was no bridle or saddle, so you went the way he wanted to go at the speed he chose. Which was normally slow, munching grass as he walked around the pasture.

If he tired of kids riding him he would head for a cable guying a telephone post, walk underneath the cable, and strip us off of his back.

One time Trigger the Horse reached around and bit my leg above the Knee.  He would not let go so I bit his ear hard till he let go.

Every one of the many cousins fell off Trigger numerous times. And many of us were stepped on Trigger, with no lasting damage.  A fine horse.


Uncle Red, Trigger, and Cousins





Craig Hullinger


__

Yeah, good one yourself, Craig. Thankfully, waaaaay
back then, cameras weren't found on every phone, or
light post, or building roof line, 'cause if there were
photos, I would suspect this wasn't an accident, but
a setup or as Tom said, a really bad joke.

The last name to use would be, hmmmm, lets see, I'm
gonna go with, ahhhh, Smith. Yea, that's it, Smith,
class of '66. Used to love to do that when I actually
was Smith. Just that one little moment of hesitation
when someone would ask my name would make most
people think I was trying to trick them by giving them
a fake name.

Pam Smith Morrissey '66

No comments:

Post a Comment