Oct 23, 2014

Class Trips - From Facebook


Hey, All! Since my great nieces and nephews start going on impressive "class trips" when they are still in grammar school, I was wondering... Did we have class trips "back in the day?" I graduated back in '73. Maybe I didn't pay attention because we couldn't afford for me to go on a class trip anyway. Living in Chicago, I told my nieces and nephews, we had field trips to world class museums pretty regularly. Those were great. And once, I think senior year, we had a bus trip to Chinatown and lunch in Chiam. But did we have class trips back then? If so, what were the destinations of your class trips? Post your year and your class trip destination. This might be interesting.
LikeLike ·  · 
  • 3 people like this.
  • Carey Anderson Morgan Park H.S. field trip to the newly opened Woodfield Mall. There was hardly anyone there and it was huge. I believe it was Mr. Phillips who took us.
    8 hrs · Edited · Like · 1
  • Leslie Cefali One field trip 8th our class was supposed to take was somewhere in Chicago...maybe (probably) one of the museums. But our trip was cancelled, we were told, because our class was so misbehaved that year. I remember taking a trip to the Field museum on...See More
    10 hrs · Edited · Like
  • Janet Quillin Blythe Jenny I was 73 also and I don't remember one But I remember a Day a lot of us went to the Dunes in Indiana!!
    10 hrs · Like · 3
  • Anne Zoeller Day at the dunes was day after prom.
    9 hrs · Like · 1
  • Janet Quillin Blythe oh yes after prom!! I just must of went to the party after because I did not go to the prom!!
    9 hrs · Like
  • Margaret C. Harkness Grammar school, nothing. MPHS we went to a dinner theater, but no trip.
    9 hrs · Like
  • Craig Harlan Hullinger I don't remember any school sponsored trips. Miss Kaseberg set up a number of trips to plays which were very nice. We would meet at her parents home and go to the theater.
    8 hrs · Like
  • Wendy J. Richards I graduated in '69 and only remember one in my K-12 years, my art teacher, junior year, took us to Lincoln Park Zoo to sketch, it was great.
    8 hrs · Like
  • Craig Harlan Hullinger Lots of Cub Scout and Boy Scouts trips
    8 hrs · Like
  • Craig Harlan Hullinger The day after the prom we went to the Indiana Dunes and stayed all day. We were horribly burned.
    8 hrs · Like
  • Lorie Robare No class trips, except for "field" trips. However, my daughter won a Chicago public school essay competition and was awarded the ultimate class trip; a week in London, and her proud mom went along too, with all expenses paid!
    8 hrs · Like · 2
  • Paula Klenk Everett Mrs. Kresmmer (sp?) took us to Bozo's circus , I think 5th gr at Clissold.
    8 hrs · Like · 2
  • Paula Klenk Everett Mr. Hurst took us to sing at downtown a couple of times.
    8 hrs · Like · 4
  • Lorie Robare Right , Paula, One of my Clissold classes went to Bozo's circus. I was very young. It seemed like the bus ride to the WGN studios on the North Side was a thousand miles away! I also remember Mr Hurst organizing us to sing the Hallelujah Chorus at Orchestra Hall.
    8 hrs · Edited · Like · 3
  • Paula Klenk Everett Lorie Robare plus City Hall in front of Mayor Daley
    8 hrs · Like · 4
  • Leslie Cefali I remember thinking Riverview was a thousand miles away as well, Lorie Robare, and it looks like it was about a mile from WGN. It took forever to go that "far" north.
    8 hrs · Like · 1
  • Lorie Robare Now that Paula jogged my memory, I'll never forget many of the details of Bozo's circus. We went in the winter time, and the school bus got stuck in the snow on the way back. Someone from WGN came back into the bus and handed out the little cartons of milk to placate us I asked for chocolate, but was given plain and I wouldn't drink it ! LOL
    7 hrs · Like · 1
  • John Wason Time out. When I was a senior in 1967, Morgan Park HS actually offered a trip to Washington DC and New York City. It was open, I guess, to all classes. I have no idea how much it cost, but my family was far from wealthy. We took the train. There were maybe 25 of us students, and a couple of faculty chaperones who didn't really ride herd on us all that closely. On the train I remember meeting a student group from South Shore HS, and made friends with one of them when we discovered we had a friend in common. I still have the photos in an album.
    5 hrs · Like · 1
  • John Wason Also, Leonard Hurst's choir(s) went to Indiana Dunes State Park one time on a chartered bus. Typically, John Zielinski and I wandered off, walked for miles down the beach, and lost track of the time. When we finally got back, everyone else was waiting for us and was really pissed. I was terribly sunburned, and didn't even have time to pee before we left, so I had to hold my pee all the way back to Chicago.
    5 hrs · Like
  • Lorie Robare Mr. Hurst was my favorite teacher, he was always very kind and encouraging to me. It's hard for me to imagine him angry. Oh well, it's fun to exchange our different experiences.
    5 hrs · Like
  • John Wason Leonard got angry at me twice. The second time was when I was looking around rather than looking straight at him the entire time, during a competition of some sort. He blessed me out on the bus afterwards, in front of everyone. I never cared for Mr. Hurst much, mainly because he had his definite favorites and I was never one of 'em. At the same time, I have to acknowledge that he taught me virtually everything I know about music.

No comments:

Post a Comment