Nov 6, 2013

Mount Greenwood Elementary School





John Wason Mount Greenwood 1863

Here are two photos of the elementary school I attended for eight long years on the south side of Chicago. I graduated from the 8th grade in 1963. These photos were taken in 1992, and the place seems to have changed basically not at all in the intervening 30 years.

The photo on the top, with no vegetation of any kind (except for the tree which found its way into the frame, actually across the street), is the rear of the school; all that blacktop or asphalt is where we had recess. The other photo, with a tree and a tiny bit of grass and MORE asphalt, is the front of the school. We kids rarely saw the front of the school, as we entered through the huge rear doors and had recess in the back as well. Seems like there was a chain-link fence around a portion of that vast sea of asphalt when I was there.

This school is typical of urban school architecture of a certain period in American history - a fairly long period, actually. Can you imagine attending a school like this? No air conditioning, no trees, cement to play on, an emphasis on conformity above all else, mass production of students. It was like going into a factory. Child labor was outlawed by the time I was born, but this school scenario wasn't so terribly different. God bless the teachers (some of them) who labored heroically to (try to) make our education interesting in such appalling conditions.
Like ·  ·  · 4 hours ago · Edited · 
  • Norman Rick Went there for 1/2 year of kindergarten---it was totally optional back in 1955---had a very nice teacher named Mrs. Buck. Believe me, I wouldn't be even 10% as screwed up as I have been all of my life had I went to MG in lieu of SC. And I would have LOVED to have gone to MP in lieu of Marist. Maybe in my next life??? I am ONE catlic who wooda made a very good public!! 
  • Macki XCarl Looks like a fine place to have housed a young whippersnapper like you!
  • Norman Rick An awesomely great school back in the day---nuns at SC either had HS diploma or a handful had one year beyond HS---whereas, all CPS teachers had 4-year or beyond degrees---that was a requirement. The reason so many parents sent their kids to SC was the...See More
  • Marla H. Thurman the year i was born!

No comments:

Post a Comment