Oct 24, 2013

MPHS Football 1963



Posted by Will Hepburn MPHS 66 on Facebook.

Does anyone remember this game? I'm thinking it was the one we lost to CVS 13-12. There was a rumble that stopped traffic on the Outer Drive as fans from both schools headed home to da Sout' Side.

  • Kristine Lang So cool that you still have the ticket, Will!

  • Don Heffernan Wow Will, you are a pack rat. I still have some grammar school report cards full of U's and bad conduct check marks.

  • James Dart We played CVS on the next Saturday, after JFK was killed, for the city championship. We lost. Don't know who we played in the semi-finals. I remember we destroyed Schurz HS in a semi-final game, not sure it was that year. Anyone have a '64 yearbook...look it up.

  • Richard Brian Meagher Will

    I recall it very well. I got moved up to play defensive linebacker due to injuries even though I was a freshmen and too small at 200 lbs to be first string defense. I recall the front line from CVS was huge and looked like grown men, when we look
    ed like big boys. They used language to mess with us that I had not heard much yet. Besides "MF" word, my favorite was "you mother wears combat boots". Honest! The latter is mild, even by todays TV language standards.

    We did not disgrace ourselves, but I think we got beat. I also recall seeing a 16 mm movie afterwards of me placing a perfect below the knee tackle head-on, on Dick Butkus (then a fullback for CVS before he went to U of I), but by his amazing momentum he carried me 4 more yards in his direction. He was really something. Never forgot the game, the movies, or the rumble afterwards. It was a thrill to play in Solder's Field.

    Thanks for helping me to recall this exciting time.

    Rich
    P.S. I have not lived in Chicago for 48 years, but still try to get back when I can. I try to keep up my memberships at the Field Museum and Art Institute as a matter of faith with a wonderful City.
    33 minutes ago via  · Like · 1
  • Lorraine O'Malley Rich, your Butkus story is GREAT! Quite a kick to read.




No comments:

Post a Comment