Oct 2, 2013

Memories of MPHS Teachers

If you have a nice memory of a teacher at EMPEHI from the mid 60's, sent it to us and we will post it here.   morganparkhigh@gmail.com

__________________________________________________


Mr. Holzhall was one of my favorites. He always had provocative questions and probed for the not-so-easy answer. He was listed in the "my favorite teacher" question for our first reunion by me but those answers got attributed to the wrong people, so I don't remember who became the rodeo cowboy or who ended up liking him but my profile had a teacher whom I never, ever had a class with. Also sent me to the wrong college.

Tom Schildhouse   MPHS Jan 66

Ditto, Tom, re: Mr. Holzhall: "provocative questions, not-so-easy answers" 

A good teacher!

Marie Stazzone

______________________

I had Mrs Holzhall as an English teacher when she was still Mary Ann Wilczinski (sp). I'm so sorry to hear of her passing. She was one of my favorite. Also had Mr. Holzhall for study hall.

Gaye in PA


I had Mrs. Holzhall for English my sophomore year, I believe; that would have been 1965. I liked her a lot; she had a good sense of humor and seemed genuinely nice. Too bad about her passing.

Dennis



I don't think Mary Ann Holzhall was anyone's English teacher during our time--she left to have a baby about then (the FIRST teacher I ever saw in maternity clothing!). Her husband Vince Holzhall was a Social Studies teacher--they met at MPHS. Anyway, she died after a brief battle with cancer this past week. I learned how to grade papers, have a conversation, and eat lunch all at the same time from her. In spite of all the "rote" learning we all did, we know our grammar, we are knowledgeable about Shakespeare and other authors, and we write decently. We didn't worry about standardized tests. The English teachers at MPHS are still a remarkable group--very creative, highly motivated to be educators, and highly educated themselves--and highly challenged as teachers. 


Carol Macola  

___________________________________________________


I had Miss Harrington, I think, for 2nd half of freshman English--we read A Midsummer Night's Dream and As You Like It--never got Julius Caesar until I taught it as a student teacher. But I listened to my brother memorize that funeral eulogy one spring break. I think I was the last English teacher at MPHS who had students memorize any speech. American Lit was sophomore year, English Lit was junior year. World Lit or AP Lit was senior year. But back then, we also might have had different teachers each semester.


Carol Marcola


______________

Rita Sheridan


I had Rita Sheridan sophomore year for a semester--now I see her at Smith Village (aka Washington and Jane Smith Home at 112th & Western--she is in the Skilled Care/Memory wing). Because of Rita Sheridan, I read Captain Blood--she had us exchange novels that we had to take out from the school library and I originally took a book about Lincoln's assassination. I really enjoyed Captain Blood--but can't remember anything else we did in that class.


Carol Marcola


___________________
I remember freshman year with Mr. Intrivici, memorizing Marc Anthony's funeral eulogy "Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ears"...
Senior year with Kate Fox - but don't remember reading Shakespeare in that class.  We did a lot of writing.
Marie
_____________


Junior English.  Mr. Haley required a soliloquy--most of the English III teachers required a memorized speech in at least the honors classes. 

Carol Macola  

____

Mr Haley was also one of my favorite teachers...and I usually hated English class. He was also very merciful because her caught Denny Carlson and me smoking in the back of Blackwelder Hall during a Brigadoon rehearsal and he let us off...thinking back I'm sure I never smoked in school again. 

also liked Lloyd Mabbett, boys PE teacher. When we picked teams for any game he insisted "alternate picks...white boys and colored boys...were not having all white or colored teams". I admired him for addressing the issue.

Of course, Leonard Hurst was tops!

Jim Dart class of August '66

_____________________________

Mr. Hurst


Mr. Leonard Hurst, the musical director of my high school, passed away December 10th. He was without a doubt the most magnetic musician and a wonderful teacher. Being in any choir at my high school meant you learned from the best. Though I could not (and cannot still) carry a tune, I admired him. One of his favorite compositions was A Song of Democracy from a poem by Walt Whitman. Our A Cappella Choir performed this in 1966, and I think I'll post the whole thing, but especially note these lines from the very end as a tribute: "Steer then with good strong hand and wary eye, O helmsman, thou carriest great companions." 

RIP Mr. Hurst.

An old man's thoughts of school,
An old man's gathering youthful memories and
blooms that youth itself cannot.

Now only do I know You,
O fair auroral skies - O morning dew upon the grass!

And these I see, these sparkling eyes,
These stores of mystic meaning, these young lives,
Building, equipping like a fleet of ships, immortal ships,
Soon to sail out over the measureless seas,
On the soul's voyage.

Only a lot of boys and girls?
Only the tiresome spelling, writing, ciphering classes?
Only a public school?
Ah more, infinitely more.

And you America,
Cast you the real reckoning for your present?
The lights and shadows of your future, good or evil?
To girlhood, boyhood look, the teacher and the school.

Sail, Sail thy best, ship of Democracy,
Of value is thy freight, 'tis not the present only,
The Past is also stored in thee.
Thou holdest not the venture of thyself alone,
not of thy Western continent alone.

Earth's resume entire floats on thy keel, O ship,
is steadied by thy spars,
With thee Time voyages in trust, the antecedent
nations sink or swim with thee.


With all their ancient struggles, martyrs, heroes,
epics, wars, thou bear'st the other continents,
Theirs, theirs as much as thine, the destination -
port triumphant;

Steer then with good strong hand and wary eye
O helmsman, thou carriest great companions,
Venerable priestly Asia sails this day with thee,
And royal feudal Europe sails with thee.
And royal feudal Europe sails with thee.



Judy Halligan Willingham




BIOGRAPHY

A renaissance man who enjoyed everything from conducting his choir to composting in his garden, Leonard J. Hurst served as the music teacher and choral director at Morgan Park High School in Chicago from 1957 until 1985.

Mr. Hurst, 81, died of complications from Alzheimer’s disease on Sunday, Dec. 9, 2012, at Greencroft Healthcare, Goshen, surrounded by his daughters, siblings, and other relatives.

Born April 3, 1931, in Wadsworth, Ohio, to Moses W. and Mary S. (Ressler) Hurst, Mr. Hurst moved to Goshen to attend Goshen College in 1948. After graduation, he attended Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois, obtaining his master’s degree in music in 1952.

From 1953-55, Mr. Hurst worked as a music therapist at Indiana University Medical Center in Indianapolis. There he met his wife, Linda (Curran) Hurst, and they were married Nov. 5, 1955, in Boardman, Ohio.

Mr. Hurst and his wife then moved to Chicago, where he studied voice for a year and considered a professional singing career. With Linda and his brother Carl, he also directed the Easter Seals camp for children with disabilities, and he taught music at Hyde Park High School before joining the staff at Morgan Park.

As a teacher and choral director at Morgan Park, Mr. Hurst was an inspiration to many of his students who would continue to write and call him throughout his life to express their gratitude. He also collaborated with drama teacher and friend Charles "Chuck" Beirne on many popular musical productions, including Bye-Bye Birdie, Brigadoon, Carousel, and Oklahoma.
While teaching, Mr. Hurst also opened and managed Friendly Oaks Garden Center in Oak Forest, Illinois, with another fellow teacher and friend, Bill Phillips.

Mr. Hurst raised his family and continued to live in Oak Forest until 2004, when he moved to Greencroft Middlebury. There he continued to pursue his interest in gardening and learned to play the cello, practicing and performing with the New Horizons Orchestra.

Mr. Hurst’s numerous hobbies included golf, tennis, fishing, bowling, woodworking, wood-carving, photography, playing the piano, reading, singing, gardening, canning, and wine-making.

Mr. Hurst is survived by three daughters, Laura (Kevin) Hurst Spell, Susan Kilmer Teplow, and Jill (Dan) Louise Christensen; brothers, Carl (Mary) Hurst, Ronald D. Hurst, and Gerald “Tony” (Glenda) Hurst; sister, Violet Miller; five grandchildren, Tyler, Corinne, Sara, Nikki, and Daniel; sister-in-law, Thelma Hurst; and many nieces and nephews.

He was preceded in death by his parents, wife, and brother, Lawrence Hurst.

The family would like to express their deep appreciation and gratitude to the staff of Greencroft Healthcare for their loving care and concern for Mr. Hurst during his stay there.

Visitation will be from 3 until the 5:00 p.m. memorial service on Saturday, December 22, 2012, in The Gathering Place at Evergreen Place, Greencroft in Goshen. Chaplain Vanette Kashmer will officiate.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be directed to Greencroft Foundation, Goshen College Music Department, or The Nature Conservancy. 

FACTS

Born: April 3, 1931
Death: December 9, 2012

SERVICES

Visitation

Saturday December 22, 2012, 3:00 - 5:00 p.m. at The Gathering Place
Click for Map and Directions

Memorial Service

Saturday December 22, 2012, 5:00 p.m. at The Gathering Place
Click for Map and Directions

DONATIONS

Memorial donations may be made to:
Greencroft Foundation
Goshen College Music Department
The Nature Conservancy




Comments From our Yahoo Group

LEONARD JAMES HURST

Well done Leonard Hurst. I just read your bio and you were quite a guy. Those of us lucky enough to sing in one of your choirs knew we were being taught by the best but that is all we knew about you. You did so much more and for that a big "well done" to you. But we still will miss the chance for another meeting in this life.

Singing in choirs all my life it is easy to say that no director I've ever sung for has worked a choir harder, expected more from his singers and always got the best from what he had to work with. I know we always wanted to do our best for him. I guess that is respect...maybe love.

Jim and Jan Dart


And well done to you Jim Dart. From a person they told to just mouth the words. I am jealous of all that you experienced and TOOK the opportunity of. You all are so blessed.
Ron Veenstra
___

Without a doubt, Mr. Hurst was my favorite teacher at EMPEHI. The sad news of his passing away just brings to mind so many wonderful remembrances and experiences starting back in 1964 to the present. He has been a big part of my life over the years. I have thought of him and made referrences about him numerous times. Actually, because of him, I got into my church choir back in 2003. Mr. Hurst was going to direct a Reunion choir of us grads from 1966 and 1967 and we were going to sing Randall Thompson's Alleluia. So, I asked the musical director at my church if she had a copy of that piece of music (so, I could brush up on it, as it had been a while since last singing that piece; the lyrics were so hard to remember), to which, she wanted to know why?? I told her and she insisted that if I could sing Thompson's Alleluia, that I should be in our church's choir, which I did and have done so for the past 10 years. So, thanks Mr. Hurst for that. And, I do have a great remembrance - I had him autograph that copy of Thompson's Alleluia after the 2007 reunion.....pretty cool.

I had Mr. Hurst for music 101, initially, during my sophomore year and then he suggested that I join his Junior Mixed Chorus, which I did for 3 semesters; and then A Cappella for 2 semesters; not to mention the 2 Fall Productions musicals he did with Mr. Bierne - Brigadoon and Bye Bye Birdie. But, he was more than just a music teacher and a great choir director, he was a mentor and a counselor, he was a friend, a role model and he was a terrific human being, who truly cared for people. Mr. Hurst had a passion and an energy for his music that was unsurpassed by anybody I have known since. Even when we were rehearsing Randall Thompson's Alleluia for those EMPEHI Reunions he demanded that we pay attention, to sing on pitch and to maintain the correct tempos, etc. He wouldn't accept "just getting by" - not ever; whether it was singing in high school, at Orchestra Hall with Margaret Hillis or for Reunion gatherings 35 years after high school; he was always "on" and expected us to be "on", too. And, we tried with all our heart.....I know I did - you didn't want to let him down, ever.

I remember one time, years after high school at an A Cappella Reunion that was held at Trinity Methodist Church and afterward, we walking out to our cars and he said to me, "you know, Denny, you can call me Leonard or Lenny; after all, we're all adults now." And I thought for a long minute and said "Lenny??? .... naaw,.... I can't do that, I couldn't do that, it wouldn't sound right, it just wouldn't be right; you'll always be Mister Hurst".

Thanks for everything you did, Mr. Hurst. You are truly somebody who made a difference in my life and so many other people's lives, as well. You are special.

Dennis Carlson, Class of '67
____





I came to Empehi in September of 1961 after 8 years of torture at Clissold. 8 years of feeling like a square peg in a round hole. 8 years of feeling afraid and alone. 8 years of being told by teachers and classmates alike that I was a fuck-up and would never make it, an opinion shared by my alcoholic father. When I hit Empehi I was certain of only one thing...as soon as I hit 16 I was gone....from school, home and all of it. I knew I had to get away from the beatings and the chaos and from the constant companion of
unworthiness.

In September of 1962 I joined the stage crew. This led to a chance (Yeah...right...) encounter with Leonard Jame Hurst. If you're interested I'll tell you the whole thing some other time. Suffice it to say that when that brief meeting was over, I no longer went to algebra 2nd period. Instead was was told to be in room 101....and don't be late.

When I walked in that first morning, the room was packed.... and they were all upper-classmen. I was told to sit in the second row. I asked the guy next to me what class this was. He looked at me like I had three heads and replied "Acappella. I had no idea what he was talking about. Mr. Hurst passed out music and everyone started to sing..... everyone but me, 'cause I couldn't read a note. I faked it for 40 minutes, then went up to him at the end of the period and told him that he had made a mistake, that I didn't belong there.He promptly replied that he didn't make mistakes, and don't be late tomorrow. He also said that he had gotten some flak from some of my teachers because of my grades, and that he expected me to "fix it" if I wanted to stay in his choir. I finally blurted out "I'm not good enough to be in this choir!". He got this really exasperated look on his face and said "If you weren't good enough you damn well wouldn't be here...now get out!"

The rest, as they say is history. I turned 16. I didn't leave. I got my grades up....and I had some of the best days of my life in the company of that wonderful choir.

Thank you, Leonard.......you gave me so much more than music.

Ron Robertson
Class of '65

_____

Most of us had to work our way up to Acapella...Boys Chorus, Junior Mixed, etc...to get an nervous audition for Acapella. He must have seen something that caused him to fast-track you to the top. Maybe he was in need of tenors that year (tenors sat in the front of the second row, with altos behind them)

Nice story...way to go!

Jim Dart
___

Accolades for Mr. Hurst. For me a true life changer as
well. Also, it was great working with you in the choir Ron.

Tom Thomas

_______

2nd 3rd or 4th the accolades for Mr. Hurst. For me a true life changer aswell. Also, it was great working with you in the choir Ron.

Tom Thomas
__

Thanks, Tom.....do you remember going to see Mr. Hurst when he played in "God's Little 
Acre"? You and I and a third, I think it was Brian Muinch drove to South Bend???

It's etched in my mind, just one of many happy memories of LJH, Acapella and Ensemble....

Also.....I was clearly remembering Christmas parties at the Baileys and caroling.......a fine time.....

Ron Robertson
___

I particularly remember parties at the Bailey's where my wife, a non EMPEHI er met Mr Hurst for the first time. She was very impressed and still is.

Tom Thomas
_____

I want to pile on the comments on Mr. Hurst. I had him in A Capella, Jr. Mixed, Madrigal competitions We sang “the Peaceable Kingdom” in A Capella and I still have my LP of that. and for several productions.

Music became a big part of my life and he was a big part of the reason. I remember the parties at the Baileys. His passion for music and excellence were impactful to me.

Thanks for everything you did, Mr. Hurst. You are truly somebody who made a difference in my life and so many other people's lives, as well. You are special. I loved you.

Mitch D’Olier
_____

That is the most wonderful story. I think that the good Lord made Music teachers a cut above the rest when it comes to giving children a feeling of worth. Both of my children were very involved in music from elementary school through High school andthose wonderful choir directors had amajor influence on their lives. So I really get it Ron. He was kind of your angel wouldn'tyou say?

Susan Newhard
___


Just to add my 2 cents to the comments about Mr. Hurst. Once again a sad note. I guess I was lucky to have spent 3 years in Acapella Choir with Mr. Hurst. Some of the best memories of high school days. He always new if I stopped singing and started talking to Ron Gray during practice. He had an hear to notice one voice missing or maybe he just he noticed the lack of my sour notes. I have him time locked in front of the choir doing all his exaggerated moves to keep us on track. He was and will be a great roll model for me. 

Ray Justinic ( 1966) 

____






From Facebook;

Carol Leeson EMPEHI ALUMNI 1960-1973
Loved this man...Rich Martin shared that he passed away last month. RIP, Mr. Hurst. I think of you often and the joy I received from being in Jr. Mixed and A Cappella at Empehi!
Like · · Monday at 7:10pm via mobile ·

Karen Holck Ketterman, Judy Halligan Willingham, Richard Martin and 11 others like this.


_____

Gayle Teller I really liked Mr. Hurst. He was my Junior Mixed teacher and music teacher. He was quite the Renaissance man. RIP Mr. Hurst.

__________

Chris Vlachos So sad. Have some good memories, including the time he whipped me across the cheek with his conductor's stick. I never resented it since I deserved it. Throttled by Mr. Beirne too. Almost fifteen years later he saw me on the Rock Island coming from downtown and came up and grabbed my hand and poured out a heart-felt apology that he had been holding in for all those years. I looked at Mr. Bierne in surprise. I deserved him strangling me that one afternoon after speech/debate class. I owed HIM an apology being such a punk. Junior Mixed was a gas. Anybody remember how we substituted naughty words for the lyrics? Instead of "Yes, Tibet, Tibet" We would sing, "Yes, to bed, to bed." Other examples?
____

Gayle Teller    I was in the classroom when the above pictures were taken for the yearbook. He was standing on a desk, as he did from time to time and he was really leading the class. It wasn't a "staged" picture. Memories...
_____

Lorie Robare    My absolutely favorite teacher ! Does anyone remember singing the Hallelujah Chorus at Orchestra hall with A Cappella ? When he started his Garden Store "Friendly Oaks" I painted decorative signs for him. He always believed in me, when it seemed no other teacher did. Rest in Peace with the choirs of angels now, dear Mr. Hurst.
____

Chris Vlachos Looking back I wish I contacted Mr. Hurst to tell him how much I appreciated him even though it seemed like I didn't. Mr Cunnea too. Here I lived a few blocks away from him a few years ago, not realizing that he was still alive. As a professor at Wheaton it means a lot to me when graduates later write.
____

Jo Honey Clark    Thanks for the great photo. I can see him now, what a teacher.

Jo Honey Clark Ya probably deserved it Chris. lol lol
____

Carol Leeson    Chris, I was thinking the same thing...wish I had let him know how much it meant when he said a very nice thing in my yearbook senior year. He was a special teacher and I am feeling, despite not having seen him for forty years, very emotional about his passing...
___

Chris Vlachos    No "probably" about it! I rarely was sober senior year, and with Mr. Bierne's class so late in the day, I was almost always potched by then. One day he had enough of my popping off in class and grabbed me after class and began to strangle me. He then got control of himself and walked away before he did anything he would regret or get arrested for. The poor guy held this in for all those years until he saw me in the train that day and apologized.
____



Jo Honey Clark Mr. Bierne is a big man to mess with.t

Chris Vlachos I felt the same way about Mr. Cunnea, Carol. It is painfully sad. I wanted so badly to tell him how much he meant to me and to let him know what I was doing and how much I model my teaching after him. But I never did.
____

Carol Leeson That explains a LOT, Chris, LOL...

Vicki Robinson I liked Mr. Bierne a lot. I also remember that he had a zillion kids, didn't he?

____

Chris Vlachos Yeh, I guess i owe a lot of people apologies.
____

Carol Leeson I think you have made up for it
____

Chris Vlachos Yes, I believe all girls. That is why he apologized to me on the train. He told me that one day his youngest daughter came home crying. She was always being yelled at by her teachers who were constantly disappointed with her because they were expecting her to be like her successful older sisters. he all of a sudden realized that he was doing that with me. He kept trying to put me into a mold to be my brother, Nick, who was a star at EMPEHI.
_____

Carol Leeson I never had Mr. Cunnea. Who was the teacher with whom Mr. Hurst started the garden center, was it Mr. Phillips? Is he still alive and is the garden center still operating?
_____

Vicki Robinson   My recollection is that Mr. Bierne was a widower who married a widow and they ended up with, like, 12 kids. I do remember passing his house (a Victorian on Prospect) one Sunday, and seeing them all walk out to the van(s) ready for church. But that could be one of those "memories" that never actually happened.
_____

Barbara J Smith Mccabe no I don't believe so Carol Leeson,,,saw them both there mid 80's
_____


Chris Vlachos   Yes, it was Mr. Phillips.
_____

Carol Leeson   Well, having a 13 year old daughter all these years later makes me appreciate all the more, when i pulled out my yearbook today, what Mr. Hurst wrote to me," ...I've often thought that my daughters should know you and look to you as a guiding light." I guess that is why I feel so weepy! Wonderful man...
_____

Chris Vlachos Another memory. Junior mixed was performing for an assembly or something, and Mr. Hurst wanted me to accompany the chorus on my bass. That was not cool for a rock and roller but I just could not tell him face to face no. So I bought a finger splint and came to school one day with my middle finger bandaged. I told him that I couldn't play. He was disappointed.
_____

Robert Newlin   An inspirational teacher. Remember Leonard Hurst standing on his head and singing. Got to see that treat at MPH and Bethany Union.
_____

Kristine Lang Vicki, I had Mr. Hurst for choir at Bethany Union too. At the high school, he introduced me to Mr. Beirne and they wanted me to play Adelaide Adams in Calamity Jane. I was most humbled and shy about that, esp. the get up they wanted me to prance around stage on. (SOOoo not me) Nonetheless, I did it! I loved Lennie! I had Miss Terrone for girls chorus and was in the alto section. I remember her taking an entire class to teach us to breathe from our diaphragm. That stayed with me over the years through childbirth and yoga. lol. She and Sue Ackerman were the best of buds, the most bodacious babes and full of fun. I had Mr. Cunnea for Latin. He was the dearest, sweetest, most gentle man. Rosy cheeked and never an unkind word or a raised voice. He, Mr. Hale and Mr. Schapiro (algebra) all came to my wedding and danced with me. I used to visit them all the time and we shared Christmas cards for decades.






_______


I was a part of M.P's Accapella choir during 1963-64,  I thought ofJohn Hearst as a dedicated man to his position as choral director. He really got into his work. No section of the chores was ever left out.The students loved him and his efforts towards developing the greatest choir in Chicago.
 
Its been many years since those days; I know that I will never forget Mr Hearst. His death saddened me as I'm sure many others felt. Morgan Park lost perhaps it's most dedicated teacher and the world a wonderful man.





Gene Autrey <geneautrey08@gmail.com>____

Mary Tiegreen Oh dear, I'm so sorry to hear about Mr. Hurst. He was an inspiration to me. Loved being in A Capella.

____


Liz Wynne Spence Fortunate to have him as church choir master in grade school too. Am sure he's still making a beautiful noise.
____

Kristine Lang no doubt, Liz, can't you just see him directing a choir of angels! : )
____

Paula Klenk Everett Chris, I do remember changing the words to songs,I can't post them on Facebook but you know the same song you were talking about- plus a Christmas song too! I remember the spring show when you came with the split. Remember in Jr. Mixed Mr. Hurst would get so mad at us for talking etc. ,Joan, Karen, Mark etc. How about the windows in the choir rm you could climb in and out of. Mr. C. Was great!He had that office (closet) with the half rm number.Weren't you President of the Latin club? I miss both of them.
_____

Kristine Lang Vicki, you have to go into Maple Tree in Blue Island or even call there to talk to Chuck's daughter. I was telling her at the reunion about his teaching Sunday school and playing the guitar and she didn't believe me and called her mother to check who told her 'no, he hadn't." I swore to her it was the God honest truth. She wouldn't believe it. I need back up! She thinks her father was a non-believer and that is just not so. She also didn't know about the guitar. This was his second family (after Judy - his ex and their kids, Chip and Jennifer) I used to babysit the kids before he turned the two flat into the Maple Tree. He and Judy and the kids lived on the second floor there. I had Chip in my Sunday School class when I taught second graders at Bethany Union. Reverend Keckly got mad at me because I had all the boys dress in play clothes and I took them to the park for lessons playing softball. If you knew the answer to the bible story, you'd get to bat and then pitch the next guy. It was bunches of fun, but Keckly didn't like it. He thought all the kids should be dressed to the nines and sitting upright like soldiers.
_____

Mary Tiegreen Reverend Keckly! Wow! That's a blast from the past! And what ever happened to him, and his son Raymond? Thanks, Kris, for all these memories!
_____

Richard Martin The Garden Center was sold.
_____

Barbara J Smith Mccabe he reminded me of Art Linkletter

____

Liz Wynne Spence Here's link to the obit, service was Dec 22nd.

_____

Barbara J Smith Mccabe thanks Liz Wynne Spence

_____
Marty Honey Warrick 


My best MPH memories are of Carousel ( Bierne Hurst Elementary) and the Mikado with Mr.Hurst & Mr. Beirne! They taught me so much,they truly valued their students as talented individuals, and trusted us with the gift of personal responsibility!They showed us how to navigate the black & white tensions of the time... ie. Mr. & Mrs. Snow were very black! They chose the Mikado because everyone was yellow! If only CPS had more teachers like them & every High school was able to have a Fall Production!




1 comment:


  1. I was never one of Leonard's favorites - and he definitely DID have his favorites at Empehi - but virtually everything I know and appreciate about music came from him. I was in Boys' Chorus, A Cappella Choir, and two of his and Chuck Beirne's plays. Also took a summer school music theory class from him, which unfortunately was a bit too difficult for me. The dude knew his music, and taught it well, and communicated his love of it.

    John Wason MPHS 67

    __________________________


    Coach Bill Warden was a great guy and a fine coach and teacher. He was very patient with the antics of his high school players.

    When I was a senior I forgot to bring my jersey for the team photo. The Coach lent his brand new Chevy convertible to Al Carlson and I to drive home to retrieve the jersey.

    It was a nice day and Al and I decided to take the top down. What we did not realize was that you had to unzip the rear glass window before you lowered the top.

    Bang!! Window broken!  We are in deep Kimchee.

    We drove to the Mt Greenwood Lutheran Church, found my mother, and borrowed money and her car. Al drove the Chevy to the Chevy dealership to get the window repaired. I drove my mother's car back to school to tell the Coach and face the music.

    The Coach as you may remember was a huge guy and very angry. But he did not kill me and for that I am still grateful.

    Al got the repaired car back to the coach about 6:00 pm. 

    The Coach was a calm guy and did not hold it against us. In fact he even rebated some of the money - seems he had previously done the same thing and had torn the fabric which we had replaced.

    Thanks for everything, Coach Warden.




    _____________________________

    Coach Warden required Allen to drive Craig home because Coach didn't trust Craig with the car alone (and look what still happened), and Craig had brought the away uniform for a home game, not forgotten it. 
    Al Carlson MPHS Jan 66
    ____________

    Thanks for the correction, Al. Last time I will ever borrow the Coaches car with you.  I am going to tell the famous Carlson Cherry Bomb Story / Caught by the Cops / Grounded For Life Story next.

    Craig Hullinger


    _____
      

    Coach Bill Warden

    Bill Warden Class of 1954
    North Central College
    Hall of Fame
    Induction Class of 2004
    Coaching
    Men's Basketball




    Bill Warden's talent on the court was so impressive that he was drafted by the Minneapolis Lakers after he graduated.

    As a Cardinal, he finished as the record holder for most points in a career (2,249), most points in a season (689), most points in a game (52), most field goal attempts in a season (533), most field goals in a career (847), most field goals in a season (254), most free throws in a career (555), highest career scoring average (28.5) and highest single-season scoring average (32.8). 



No comments:

Post a Comment