Feb 28, 2013

War Museum


Dear Empehi Alumni,

I am the Education Director at the Livingston County War Museum/Dal Estes Education Center in Pontiac IL. Our museum was founded by my father, Dal Estes, in 2004 to honor  local men and women who have served our country from World War I to the present. My dad landed on Omaha Beach on D-Day and was wounded at the Battle of the Bulge.

He took a flag from a German bunker in Normandy on that historic day and exactly 50 years later my father and I returned it to a small museum on Omaha Beach in France where he is known today as "Private Ryan's Sergeant". I served with the 25th Infantry and the 101st Airborne Division in Vietnam before returning to teaching for my career.

I invite all Empehi 65 - 67 alumni to visit the museum. I would love to show you around and talk about our days in high school.

We are located 100 miles south of Chicago at exit 197 on I-55. Follow the signs to downtown (2 miles)  where we are located in the Old City Hall building. Just take the elevator to the third floor. 

We are accessible to anyone in your group requiring a wheelchair. 
Admission is free and free parking is available across the street in the city parking lot. Hours are Monday - Saturday 10 - 4 and Sunday 12 - 4. Pontiac is also home to the Illinois Route 66 Museum and the Pontiac-Oakland Car Museum, so we get plenty of car clubs here. 

     Looking forward to seeing some Empehi grads here!

     David Estes - Empehi Class of June 1965 
     Education Director
     Livingston County War Museum
     Dal Estes Education Center
     321 N. Main Street
     Pontiac IL 61764
     email: lcwarmuseum@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment