Feb 26, 2013

Great Books We Recommend

The books below were recommended by our fellow alumni on our MPHS Yahoo Group List for political discussions. Join us if you like lively political arguments. Occasionally we get angry, but proper decorum is ensured by corporal punishment - ie, pushups, situps, running laps, etc.  Given our age punishments are virtual reality.


groups.yahoo.com/group/mphsforum


We also received contributions from the readers of our EmpeHi Reunion Yahoo Group - which stays away from the sometimes divisive political food fights.

groups.yahoo.com/group/EmpehiReunion




Ken Zalga

Right now I'm in the middle of the Vince Flynn series of agent Mitch Rapp... Fighting terrorism, CIA, etc.... Real page turners..


amazon.com/American-Assassin-Thriller-Vince-Flynn/dp/141659518X/ref=cm_lmf_img_1

Before that I read Ken Follets new books which are part of a trilogy..."Fall of Giants" and "Winter of the World" 

If your into some really heavy reading I recommend the JJ George Martin Fire and Ice Series. 5 books of a continuing story about 5,000 pages. "Game of Thrones" which is his first book, a mini series which has been running on HBO . 

Waiting on his 6th book 

I got a Nook for my last Birthday... I recommend the Nook to any avid reader.. 
______


Will Hepburn

My favorite book of all time is probably Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pillars_of_the_Earth
__

Pillars of the Earth was a good read. I didn't like the sequel.

Marie Stazzone

___

 Ron Veenstra  wrote:

I have read many of Fylnn's books up to several years ago. Mitch was fun to follow. Fun reads.
 
I have gotten into more audio books to fit my life style and that has been nice. I actually listen to Pillars of the Earth that Will talked about two times. The disadvantage for me with the audio books is that I get distracted by something and miss a whole chapter. 

__

Excellent book... How the Cathedrals of Europe were built...

Read that years ago..

Favorites for me are Atlas Shrugged and Enemy at the Gates...By William Craig...



They made a movie out of this book, but it was only one chapter.. I've read both of these books twice.... Enemy at the Gates was most excellent..The battle of Stalingrad from beginning to the last German and Italian Soldiers released from the Gulags in the 1950's...
__

Craig Hullinger Jan 66. Books I recommend include:


Our Inner Ape by Franz De Waal







The Third Chimpanzee - Jared Diamond


Reluctant Warrior by my Marine friend Mike Hodgins amazon.com/Reluctant-Warrior-Michael-Hodgins/dp/0804111200




The Worst Hard Time by Timothy Egan





The Last Catholic in America by the late John Powers  - A Must Read for a Soutsider - About Mt Greenwood 


en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_R._Powers





Raventross by my Marine friend John Wilkes 


amazon.com/Raventross-ebook/dp/B0068FVC9E 

Class Reunions by our own Taffy Cannon MPHS 66.  The book reminds me of our MPHS Reunions.


taffycannon.com
I was on a roll reading David Baldacci books, and I highly recommend any of them, if you are into an espionage type of plot. I would not have considered myself to be someone that would enjoy this sort of read, but I can tell you that

I found myself jumping from one book to another. And to think, all of this started from a book I picked up at a garage sale. The woman in charge saw me looking at her books, and she highly recommend Baldacci to me.  Heck, what did
I have to lose for a couple of bucks!? 


 Enjoy!

Joan Pettavino '66

__


Posted by:

"Will Hepburn" hepburncapital
Some classics like Lord of the Flies are talked about like they were required reading in school, yet like Marie's list, I've never ready any of them. I know I took it as sport to see how much required stuff I could avoid in school, so that may be why.

What of the classics were we required to read in school?

Will\


__

I have rediscovered the "classiccs" and this past year read:

"Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck,
"The Bridge of San Luis Rey" by Thornton Wilder
"Catcher in the Rye" by J.D. Salinger.

All three are exceptional , but one of my all-time favorites remains "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee.

Marie


__


Posted by Judy Willingham


Joan Pettavino wrote - 
I was on a roll reading David Baldacci books, and I highly recommend any of them, if you are into an espionage type of plot. I would not have considered myself to be someone that would enjoy this sort of read, but I can tell you that I found myself jumping from one book to another. 
----------------------------------------------------------

The same thing happened to me years ago with Robert Ludlum -- in the space of a few weeks or a month, I devoured everything he had written.

I'll try David Baldacci on your recommendation, Joan. Thanks.

Judy

P.S. I just finished "Nineteen Minutes" by Jodi Piccoult. It was excellent and so timely, unfortunately.
__

Posted by: "Joan Pettavino" hokeydork

Ahhh, I never even thought of the classics, Marie. Thanks for bringing them up. I'll have to give them a try - Joan

We spend precious hours fearing the inevitable. It would be wise to use that time adoring our families, cherishing our friends and living our lives! Maya Angelou

__

Posted by: Tom Schildhouse

Although tame by today's standards in both sex and violence, the original Ian Fleming Bond books will always rank as favorites of mine. The literary Bond was a good counterpoint of Connery's portrayal of him. More rugged than
handsome, scarred and weathered but the kind of man who drew attention when entering a room. Never quite knew why women found him intriguing but never questioned the fact. Always "en garde" and never caught off-guard, he was
an unusual hero, as written, and a far cry from the more sophisticated and suave actors who went on to portray him through out the years. The books opened a interesting and always complex character.

Anything with Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes, not a fan the more recent literary incarnations, but some of the tv and film adaptations, especially the modernized versions are interesting, although I find myself informing Karen, far too often of why Irene Adler, Moriarty, Mary Morsten, etc. are mis-portrayed or mis-represented.

Tom Schildhouse

__

Joanie - if you enjoy espionage, try Vince Flynn (correct genre, I believe). Love, love, love his books and once I start one, I just want to sit and read it straight through.

Pam
__


Posted by: Ron Veenstra

I must say, that we all seem to have similar reading interests. Most of the authors mentioned I am very familiar with and also like my long lost cousin, Will, I avoided most of the classics other than the comic book type for reports. Looking forward to someday having the time to reading them.

Good discussion you all,
Ron V 
__

Judy Halligan Willingham


Marie -- your post did not appear in my digest, and I cannot access it on this site for a reply, but I wanted to say that I've been tempted to re-read some of the classics as my granddaughters reach high school and are assigned them.

Several of them love to read, two others "not so much" but all are bright and capable of a good book dissection...oops, sorry, discussion!

Thanks for the idea.

Judy Halligan Willingham '66

____

Tom Schildhouse

Of course, good books are memorable and enlightening in many ways. We frequently remember things we have read or experiences we hope to enjoy one day. Some of the books that brought back memories were (of Course) westerns and I loved anything about diving and Jacques Cousteau because the sea and its
depths have intrigued me since childhood.

I remember that, although best known for martinis, shaken not stirred, James Bond said on more than one occasion that Campari was the world's only civilized drink. To this day Campari is my number one drink of choice, I do love that Italian aperitif. Even though most Americans would rather imbibe cough syrup. And martinis, bleu cheese olives and ice cold and served "up"
are another life-long passion. And I have down WAY more than my share of beer and other spirits along the way. On our trips to the Caribbean, I can always count on Campari being readily at hand on any beach bar.

Joanie - if you enjoy espionage, try Vince Flynn (correct genre, I believe). Love, love, love his books and once I start one, I just want to sit and read it straight through.
Pam
__

From: Joan Pettavino

I was on a roll reading David Baldacci books, and I highly recommend any of them, if you are into an espionage type of plot. I would not have considered myself to be someone that would enjoy this sort of read, but I can tell you that I found myself jumping from one book to another. And to think, all of this started from a book I picked up at a garage sale. The woman in charge saw me looking at her books, and she highly recommend Baldacci to me. Heck, what did I have to lose for a couple of bucks!? Enjoy!
Joan P. '66

We spend precious hours fearing the inevitable. It would be wise to use that time adoring our families, cherishing our friends and living our lives! Maya Angelou
___

Gaye Marcus
I agree with Joanie, Baldachi is excellent. Also like Phillip Margolian (same genre). Have devoured Ludlum and Clancy too. Also like James Peterson's Alex Cross books. For something really different try Diana Gabaldin's Outlander series. Seems a bit far fetched at first, but she is such a good author that it doesn't take long to get into the storyline, For you Swedes out there, my friend Jerry Hunsicker wrote 3 books so far in a series called Axe of Iron. It is about how the Vikings settled in the New Land. Great insight into their culture, and also a good read. Would also recommend our own Taffy Cannon's mysteries. There are dozens of other authors that I read but these are the top ones. Happy reading!!!

Gaye in PA

__

Joan Pettavino

Oh, by the way, I also read the whole series of the Jean Auel books, Clan of the Cave Bear, etc.. Though she is somewhat wordy, shall we say, in her descriptive style of writing, the stories are very good and highly interesting in depicting how the clans in caves probably lived. I am on the last one right now The Plains of Passage, but I had to put it down before the holidays and have not been able to pick it up since. One of these days.......!

We spend precious hours fearing the inevitable. It would be wise to use that time adoring our families, cherishing our friends and living our lives! Maya Angelou
__

Philarealist gayemarcus

I agree with Joanie, Baldachi is excellent. Also like Phillip Margolian (same genre). Have devoured Ludlum and Clancy too. Also like James Peterson's Alex Cross books. For something really different try Diana Gabaldin's Outlander series. Seems a bit far fetched at first, but she is such a good author that it doesn't take long to get into the storyline, For you Swedes out there, my friend Jerry Hunsicker wrote 3 books so far in a series called Axe of Iron. It is about how the Vikings settled in the New Land. Great insight into their culture, and also a good read. Would also recommend our own Taffy Cannon's mysteries. There are dozens of other authors that I read but these are the top ones. Happy reading!!!

__

I enjoyed her books also (Auel).

Anyone read anything by Abraham Verghese? I've read My Own Country and Cutting for Stone. Cutting for Stone I found difficult to get into,
but persevered and around page 250 or so, like Judy, I found myself so engaged, I didn't want to put it down.

Pam
__
I was switched to the high school this year. Books that 11th graders are reading now in class are The Great Gatsby, the play Fences by August Wilson, Night by Elie Wiesel, Neither Wolf Nor Dog by Kent Nerburn (a MN author and a great book- non-fiction) and others. I have to come home every night and read besides doing other school work. I have not read this much in years. Reading The Circuit right now - memoirs of a Mexican immigrant family. Author is now a professor in California. Also a very good book although very short.
Anita Price
____

I'm curious, Anita. Do you think these books are age-appropriate for 11th graders? Will they appreciate them as much as you, an adult?

Marie Stazzone
________________________________
Anita Price

I think they are age appropriate but not understood fully like they would be as an adult. Another book read by 11th graders in many school districts is the book called The Things They Carried. It is made up of memoirs from the Vietnam War. I had my husband read it too so he could help me explain things. They talk about a P-38. I actually brought my husband's to school to show the kids. It is a can-opener hung around their necks with their dog-tags. This is my first year of teaching in which I have read every foul word ever written. The last time I taught high school was in the 70's and I taught math. Now I am at HS supporting special Ed students in English classes. 
Curriculum has sure changed since we were in HS.

Anita Price

No comments:

Post a Comment