Dr. James W. West made medical history when he helped perform the world’s first human organ transplant in 1950 at Little Company of Mary Hospital in Evergreen Park on a woman in desperate need of a kidney.
In 1975, the longtime Beverly resident helped Monsignor Ignatius McDermott found Chicago’s Haymarket Center, a pioneering facility for the treatment of substance abuse.
The last surviving physician from the historic kidney-transplant team, Dr. West died July 24 at his home in Palm Desert, Calif., at 98.
Thanks to MPHS Alumni Nan Brennan for sharing.
Post a Comment