Aug 9, 2015

The Draft and The Lottery

Drawing the Lottery Numbers
The draft was a big deal for we 60 something students. We signed up for the draft at 18 and could be drafted thereafter. 

You were eligible to be deferred from the draft to go to college or if you had children or in a variety of other ways. The draft was changed to a lottery under Richard Nixon. Part of the effort was to make it more fair to people who were not going to college.



RESULTS OF THE FIRST VIETNAM WAR DRAFT


 LOTTERY HELD DECEMBER 1, 1969

If your number was low you were sure to be drafted. If your number was high you would not be drafted. People in the middle were still in limbo.
The highest number drafted in this group of men was 195.

The first number drawn was 258 (September 14), so all registrants with that birthday were assigned lottery number 1. The second number drawn corresponded to April 24, and so forth. All men of draft age (born 1944 to 1950) who shared a birthdate would be called to serve at once. The first 195 birthdates drawn were later called to serve in the order they were drawn; the last of these was September 24.

The table below shows what your draft number was from the drawing on December 1, 1969.  Find the month on the top, and the day of your birth on the left. Intersect the column with the row and you find your draft number.



Live from Washington, It’s Lottery Night 1969!




I was fortunate to beat the draft.

I was drafted - In December 1966.  But I had already enlisted in the Marines for 4 years in November 1966 but was not scheduled to go on active duty to Parris Island until March 1967.

I asked the Marine recruiter what I should do about the draft notice.  He said ignore the Army. I have been doing that ever since that day.

So that is how I beat the draft.

The day of the lottery drawing was December 1 which is my birthday but I was totally unaware of the lottery drawing on that day. From the table I see that my draft number was 129. I was on my way to Vietnam and way too busy to worry or even know about what was happening with the draft.

historynet.com/whats-your-number.htm



MPHS Discussions about Vietnam at:



Interesting comments from people about the lottery draft.

vietnamwardraftlottery.com/phpnuke/modules.php?name=Stories_Archive&sa=show_all



No comments:

Post a Comment