Jul 20, 2015

GUNGA DIN - 1939 - Classic Movie Reviews by Chuck Kuenneth MPHS 66



GUNGA DIN - 1939


Classic Movie Reviews by Chuck Kuenneth MPHS 66



I went to many movies in theaters in the 1950s. These were, of course, contemporary films. After getting our first TV set in 1957, I started catching up with older films. So when I was 10 or 11, I saw "Gunga Din" for the first time on the TV. It demolished me! It was an incredible combination of action, mystery, drama, suspense, sadness and comedy. I couldn't stop thinking about it and made sure I saw it every time it was on the tube. The three heroes caught my imagination. Douglas Fairbanks Jr. was handsome and swashbuckling, Victor McLaglen was pompous and powerful, and Cary Grant was funny and excitable. It took place in the, then, magical country of India, or at least it seemed that way to this 10 year old kid.

The soundtrack music was memorable, especially the title music with the giant gong being struck. Every time I think about "Gunga Din" the opening credits music runs through my head. Don't forget plenty of action. Gunga Din had all the action, and more, that a 10 year old boy would want. 1939 was a great year for movies! Some consider it Hollywood's greatest year. Besides "Gunga Din" you had "The Wizard of Oz", "Gone With the Wind", "Stagecoach", "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington", "Wuthering Heights", "Ninotchka", "Goodbye Mr. Chips", "Dark Victory", "The Women", "Hunchback of Notre Dame", "Only Angels Have Wings", and "Beau Geste". Certainly an awesome list, but for me, of these films only "Gunga Din" resides in my top 20 Favorite Film List.

In the mid 1970s I started what today I regard as a fine art, collecting movies. Back then instead of video tapes or DVDs, I bought 16mm movies. I had earlier acquired a used 16mm projector and set up a screening room in my basement. Then I started buying 16mm movies. I bought "Gunga Din" and reveled in viewing it. Imagine my surprise, ten years later, when I ventured to the near north side to see "Gunga Din" on Playboy Theater screen. The movie was 20 minutes longer containing scenes I had never viewed before. The film I had been seeing on TV and had bought was a 1942 re-release of the film, shortened for showing with a second feature. The film at the Playboy was in fact the original 1939 release. This is the film I subsequently bought in Video Tape format and DVD. It was like you lived in a house all your life, then one day discovered a room you had never been in before. Needless to say I use my DVD to go into that room when I feel like being a 10 year old again.

So I guess in many ways I am still that 10 year old kid who first experienced the thrill of "Gunga Din".

CAST:

Cary Grant Cutter
Victor McLaglen MacChesney
Douglas Fairbanks Jr. Ballantine
Sam Jaffe Gunga Din
Eduardo Ciannelli Guru
Joan Fontaine Emmy
Montague Love Colonel Weed
Robert Coote Higginbotham
Abner Biberman Chota
Cecil Kellaway Mr. Stebbins

(This is an original movie still [1938] from my collection showing Cary Grant interacting with Robert Coote. It is an original photo from RKO Pictures with the photographer [Alex Kahle] credited on the reverse file)






  • The Libertines - Gunga Din - YouTube

    www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEf27xuYcw4
    Jul 2, 2015 - Uploaded by TheLibertinesVEVO
    'Gunga Din' - taken from the new album 'Anthems for Doomed Youth' – released 4th Sept 2015. Get the ...
  • Gunga Din by Rudyard Kipling 1892 with text - YouTube

    www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wFA9zRAhgc

    Jan 16, 2014 - Uploaded by ESL and Popular Culture
    PLease see my Poetry Playlists William Wordsworth Poetry https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list ...
  • 'Gunga Din' Video - Rolling Stone

    www.rollingstone.com/.../watch-libertines-enjoy-drunk...
    Jul 3, 2015
    The Libertines have shared the joyous music video for "Gunga Din," the first single off their comeback ...
  • The Libertines - Gunga Din Live (New Song) - YouTube

    www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzbacZ4DOKk
    Jun 29, 2015 - Uploaded by The Gig Channel
    Live at Glastonbury Festival, 26/06/2015 - WATCH THE VIDEO IN HD! Check out our GIG REVIEWS & VIDEOS ...
  • Gunga Din Theatrical Trailer - YouTube

    www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEynYH-FNy8

    Jun 19, 2010 - Uploaded by THX1968
    One of the greatest adventure films ever made! Directed by the impeccable George Stevens, director of "Shane ...
  • Rudyard Kipling "Gunga Din" Poem animation - YouTube

    www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3lqFVuYnzE

    Apr 23, 2012 - Uploaded by poetryreincarnations
    Heres a virtual movie of the great Rudyard Kipling reading his much loved poem "Gunga Din" a rhyming ...
  • Jim Croce - Gunga Din - YouTube

    www.youtube.com/watch?v=34Vxqydpmus

    Mar 20, 2010 - Uploaded by Jan Hammer
    The musical equivilent of Rudyard Kipling's classic poem performed with panache by Jim Croce. You can ...
  • Gunga Din 1939 Movie - YouTube

    www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxRNrb68E74
    Feb 22, 2014 - Uploaded by Video Detective
    Official video content provided by Turner Home Entertainment or one of it's authorized agents. More clips ...
  • Gunga Din (1939) -- (Movie Clip) Very Regimental!

    www.tcm.com/.../Gunga-Din-Movie-Clip-Very-Regi...

    Gunga Din (1939) -- (Movie Clip) Very Regimental! Famous scene in which Cutter (Cary Grant) supports Sam ...
  • Gunga Din - YouTube

    www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KvN-ITOZDc

    Jul 28, 2013 - Uploaded by warnervod
    Oscar-winner Cary Grant leads the way in this action-packed adventure about three rowdy British soldiers who ...
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment