Nov 1, 2017

Harding Faux Castle

In 1927, Harding built the faux castle at 4853 S. Lake Park Ave. after being frustrated by the enormous cost of his plan to have a real German castle shipped to Chicago, brick by brick.

He opened the castle three years later with its secret passages, dungeon and keep — a fortified tower — to the public.

It became a museum that housed the great collection of weapons, suits of armor, and model ships that Harding collected. They are now housed in the Art Institute.

No comments:

Post a Comment