Nov 10, 2016

Parade Morgan Park



Fun to watch a Parade back in my old neighborhood in the south side of Chicago down Longwood Drive.

The parade kicked off from 110th and Longwood Drive and proceeded north. The Color Guard was from 2/24, the Marine Infantry Battalion on the west side of Chicago.  

I marched in a parade on Longwood Drive leading a platoon of Marines in 1973. I spotted my MPHS Russian teacher Miss Petrus. We were trained to greet her, so I belted out:

Strastvooey te, Soyia Sergeevna, a kok vi pushaviatee!!
Which means "Hello, Soyia Sergeevna. how are you?!"
or something like this. I was probably her worst student and fifty years has reduced my Russian ability significantly.

Soyia Sergeevna frantically looked around trying to find who was calling her, clearly one of her former students. But she did not see me and I had to keep marching in front of the platoon for the next mile. Dosvedanya, Soyia Sergeevna.
"Goodbye"


No comments:

Post a Comment