Sep 11, 2015

Dennis Carlson Rest in Peace


Dennis A. Carlson

(October 5, 1949 - September 7, 2015) 


View/Sign Guest Book Create Memorial Website


Dennis A. Carlson
Dennis A. “Duke” Carlson, September 7, 2015, age 65. Late of Homewood, formerly of Chicago. Beloved husband of Margaret “Margi” Carlson nee Downing. Dear brother of Ellen M. (Robert) Strutz and Robert (Geri) Carlson. Brother-in-law of Cindy Brackett. Loving uncle of Christopher Brackett, Amy (Josh) Walker, Michelle (Jeremy) Bullard and Michael “Mickey” (Shauna) Carlson. 40 year employee with Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). Resting at the Tews Funeral Home, 18230 Dixie Hwy., Homewood Thursday from 3:00-9:00 p.m. Lying in state Friday from 10:00 a.m. until time of Service at ll:00 a.m at St. Andrew United Methodist Church, 18850 Riegel Road, Homewood, IL. Memorials to DEA Survivors Benefit Fund, 2020 Pennsylvania Ave., N.W. Suite 659, Washington, DC 20006. 

www.tewsfuneralhomes.com or 708-798-5300






__________________



I've been sitting here for an hour in shock wondering what to do. I realized I need to let his friends that loved him know. Dennis Carlson died today...More than likely his heart...but that's all I remember from his brothers call. I was his friend for 60 years but it was not long enough.




______________


I just got a call from Judy Willingham. Dennis Carlson passed away today. I only have his number so I don't know how to find out about where he will be waked or any other details. Judy said Jim Dart got a call from Denis' brother that he passed away today. I feel very sad. Wish I knew some way of finding out more info. If you find out anything, please let me know. Thought you'd want to know.



Julie Marschand









Today I lost a dear friend, Denny Carlson. 
This is my last note I will be writing to him...

Oh, Dennis. I just wrote you a note today. To think you won't be writing to me anymore or sitting with us at the EMPEHI Reunion Pizza parties! You were such a good man and so much fun to know. I will miss you very much. Everyone who loved you will miss you very much. I have known you since I was 11 years old when I first moved to Mt. Greenwood. 

When I remember back to those days in Mt. Greenwood and I remember you as the bratty little boy who used to throw snakes in little girls windows in the summer for fun and laugh when you heard them scream! I remember your stories about Swedish Lutefisk and how much you treasured your Father and Mother, of your love for Margie, your wife, of the wonderful times you had at Morgan Park in High School and of your well loved job you took on at your church many times as director of the Christmas childrens' pageants and how proud you were of the children you worked with! I could go on and on and probably write a book of all the stories you shared. I could just cry realizing I won't be seeing your smiling face here on earth. But I still have my memories...you were a fun, happy and dear man and I will miss you so much. See you in heaven, Denny!


Julie Marschand


_______________________




I just learned of the death of Dennis Carlson, a high school classmate who did more than anyone I know to keep the neighborhood alive for all of us who moved away. I'm stunned and so sad -- Dennis was a spark plug with an encyclopedic memory of all things South Side Chicago. Only one thing consoles me -- he is reunited with his dear friend and partner in crime Dave Noren. My deepest sympathy to his wife and family.




________________




I have no words that would be adequate to the occasion. Dennis and I were best of buddies in grade school, though we had a profound philosophical parting of the ways in high school, and certainly as adults. I have many good memories of Dennis.




John Wason

____________________
Sorry for your loss. Dennis was a really nice guy.I went to school with him & worked with him at Belmont. He will be missed.

Jim Mullen,
Tinley Park
______________


I met Dennis almost fifty years ago. He was a close friend of my brother Dave, took part in our church's high school youth group, and was always fun to be around. His friendship came to mean even more after Dave became disabled; the two of them would have 'pizza and bad movie night' together, as well as going to Thunderbolts games and planning Empehi reunions. Dennis and I were last in touch about two weeks ago, and I am sorry it was only by email rather than in person. Margi, you have my deepest sympathy in the loss of this wonderful Christian man.



Carol Noren,
Chicago, Illinois

____________________


Kristine Lang I'm truly so sorry to hear of this. Rest in Peace, Dennis!

____________________


Marianne Gerwig I'm so sorry to hear this news. Thoughts and prayers for his family



____________________






____________________



Paula Klenk Everett So sorry to hear this


____________________

Dennis will always be one of my most beloved friends from high school and MPHS choirs with Mr. Hurst. Dennis was the class of 67 bridge between a number of choir friends from both the 66 and 68 classes. Although we were a year apart in choirs we did sing together with Mr. Hurst's invitation by Margaret Hillis to sing Borodin's Polivetzian Dances, Brahms "How lovely is Thy Dwelling Place, and Bach's "All Breathing Life". We were both Tenors and I remember Dennis's all time favorites being "Tu Pamperum", "Thompson's Alleluia", and "I'LL Loose Thee Lord Not". 

Dennis's unique jovial and scratchy spoken voice will always stick in my head when Acapella sang the medley from "Bye Bye Birdie" with his recorded lead-in that said "WE PROUDLY PRESENT, THE CONRAD BYRDIE FAN CLUB SINGING THE CONRAD BYRDIE SONG"! We did work together on a couple of Acapella reunions with Mr. Hurst that were very special for all of us as well as Mr. Hurst. If you are sharing some bad movies with Dave Noren, Dennis, may you also be singing with Leonard directing and theTenor section always on pitch, and NEVERRRRR FLAT! 

Your personality and good cheer will always be part of the great times and music we shared. Although I'm sure of a few tears, I'm going to play the songs mentioned above from utube as a rememberance. Rest in Peace Dennis. 

Jim Storms- class of 68
Lakeville, Minnesota

____________________





Judy Halligan Willingham Jim Dart -- I forgot to thank you for sharing this sad news and offer my sympathy on the loss of your lifelong friend.

____________________


Lorraine O'Malley Dennis was a man of integrity and grace. I felt honored to become his friend in recent years. He will be greatly missed by all who knew him.




Craig Harlan Hullinger Dennis was a fine man. He did a great job with the mini pizza reunions. He will be missed. Rest in peace, Dennis. You and your family are in our prayers.



_____________



It is with incredible regret that I have to inform all of you that my best friend Dennis passed away today. I received a call from his brother that he had another heart problem and they could not revive him. There are no details yet on the services, but I will post them as soon as I can

.
I would like to thank all of you for the friendship that you have shown him. We talked of it often, it meant a lot to him.

Bill Schneider (67)



_________



Bill Schneider -- my sympathy to you and to the entire Carlson family. Also to all on this group who knew Dennis slightly and those lucky few who could call him a good friend. Dennis was so special, and he embodied school spirit and neighborliness. My favorite memory will always be Dennis talking for 45 minutes straight on a bus trip from the Oak Lawn Holiday Inn to Morgan Park High School. He told me things I never knew and reminded me of so many things I had forgotten. 


What a shock -- and some small comfort in knowing that Dennis and Dave Noren are talking pizza, John Wayne and Mt. Greenwood as I type this. 

I don't know that anyone can take his place. 

Judy Halligan Willingham '66

__________


Almost too hard to believe. Dennis seemed like such permanent fixture. We will miss him a lot.


Tom Schildhouse



___________



I am so sorry to hear about the passing of Dennis. He was such a great guy. I only wish now I took the time to try and get back to Chicago for one of those pizza party's Dennis set up. I will truly miss his great sense of humor as he could always put a smile on my face.


Ron McComb Dewey AZ

____________________





Bill- I'm so sorry for the pain you feel from losing your best friend. Dennis Carlson was a special person that does not come around very often in our lives. To say he will be missed is an understatement. I've been thinking about him all day and wondering if it was just a bad dream. My sympathy to his family and loved ones.

He was a real special guy. 


Charlie Van Liere


_______________________


I cannot get my mind around this. Dennis was such a great guy and really a big part of EMPEHI lore. May he rest in peace and like Judy I believe he and Dave Noren are sharing stories about Pizza, the Duke and Mt Greenwood.


Gaye Marcus In PA



_______________



OMG, I am so sorry to hear about Dennis's passing. He was always such an open, kind and friendly guy, and there is no doubt in my mind that he will be dearly missed. We will definitely have to have a pizza night in his honor.



Joan Pettavino. '66

______________


Dennis, indeed was a good guy, and good man to have on your side. He and Dave Noren coordinated some of our early reunions, and it is their model that we follow today. 


I will always remember the (almost) back flip he did while narrating the 2007 neighborhood tour on the way to the high school. The bus stopped quickly and he tumbled backward off the step in the front of the coach section, bounced right back up and hardly missed a beat. 

Dennis was a class act and he will be missed.


Will Hepburn



______________




Thanks so much Bill for letting us know and would so appreciate being kept informed of any arrangements.

Susan



______________



I knew Dennis in high school as a member of the Romans Hi-Y club. What a great guy. He had a lot of common sense for a high schooler. He will be missed. My deepest sympathy to his wife and family.


David McLain, MD,
BIrmingham, Alabama

______________





God bless you Dennis, for you were and are one of God's Bright and Gentle Lights here on Earth. Thank you for your kindness.

Susan Engle Budash,
Buffalo, New York

________________

My heartfelt condolences and sympathies to the family of Dennis at this time of sudden loss. May you find peace in your memories of him.

Dr. Maribeth Montgomery Kasik (EMPEHI 69),
Chicago, Illinois

______________

Very sorry to hear this. He was an extraordinarily fine person who seemed to love us all.

Sharon Avny



Dennis Carlson and Jim Dart



2 comments:

  1. Sunday, September 13, 2015
    Dennis will always be one of my most beloved friends from high school and MPHS choirs with Mr. Hurst. Dennis was the class of 67 bridge between a number of choir friends from both the 66 and 68 classes. Although we were a year apart in choirs we did sing together with Mr. Hurst's invitation by Margaret Hillis to sing Borodin's Polivetzian Dances, Brahms "How lovely is Thy Dwelling Place, and Bach's "All Breathing Life". We were both Tenors and I remember Dennis's all time favorites being "Tu Pamperum", "Thompson's Alleluia", and "I'LL Loose Thee Lord Not". Dennis's unique jovial and scratchy spoken voice will always stick in my head when Acapella sang the medley from "Bye Bye Birdie" with his recorded lead-in that said "WE PROUDLY PRESENT, THE CONRAD BYRDIE FAN CLUB SINGING THE CONRAD BYRDIE SONG"! We did work together on a couple of Acapella reunions with Mr. Hurst that were very special for all of us as well as Mr. Hurst. If you are sharing some bad movies with Dave Noren, Dennis, may you also be singing with Leonard directing and theTenor section always on pitch, and NEVERRRRR FLAT! Your personality and good cheer will always be part of the great times and music we shared. Although I'm sure of a few tears, I'm going to play the songs mentioned above from utube as a rememberance. Rest in Peace Dennis. -Jim Storms- class of 68
    ~
    Jim Storms,
    Lakeville, Minnesota

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunday, September 13, 2015
    Dennis will always be one of my most beloved friends from high school and MPHS choirs with Mr. Hurst. Dennis was the class of 67 bridge between a number of choir friends from both the 66 and 68 classes. Although we were a year apart in choirs we did sing together with Mr. Hurst's invitation by Margaret Hillis to sing Borodin's Polivetzian Dances, Brahms "How lovely is Thy Dwelling Place, and Bach's "All Breathing Life". We were both Tenors and I remember Dennis's all time favorites being "Tu Pamperum", "Thompson's Alleluia", and "I'LL Loose Thee Lord Not". Dennis's unique jovial and scratchy spoken voice will always stick in my head when Acapella sang the medley from "Bye Bye Birdie" with his recorded lead-in that said "WE PROUDLY PRESENT, THE CONRAD BYRDIE FAN CLUB SINGING THE CONRAD BYRDIE SONG"! We did work together on a couple of Acapella reunions with Mr. Hurst that were very special for all of us as well as Mr. Hurst. If you are sharing some bad movies with Dave Noren, Dennis, may you also be singing with Leonard directing and theTenor section always on pitch, and NEVERRRRR FLAT! Your personality and good cheer will always be part of the great times and music we shared. Although I'm sure of a few tears, I'm going to play the songs mentioned above from utube as a rememberance. Rest in Peace Dennis. -Jim Storms- class of 68
    ~
    Jim Storms,
    Lakeville, Minnesota

    ReplyDelete