May 26, 2014

Memorial Day Parade Beverly, Morgan Park, Mount Greenwood


Video of the Start of the parade.



The parade kicked off from 110th and Longwood Drive and proceeded north. The Color Guard was from 2/24, the Marine Infantry Battalion on the west side of Chicago.  I marched in a parade on Longwood Drive leading a platoon of Marines in 1973.  I spotted my MPHS Russian teacher Miss Petrus. We were trained to greet her, so I belted out
Strastvooey te, Soyia Sergeevna, a kok vi pushaviatee!!

Soyia Sergeevna frantically looked around trying to find who was calling her, clearly one of her former students. But she did not see me and I had to keep marching in front of the platoon. Dosvedanya, Soyia Sergeevna.







Click to see the Video of The Jesse White Tumblers






The Model A Roadster above looks like the Model A Roadster I drove on Longwood Drive to MPHS in 65, although the one in the photo is in much better condition.
My Model A at modelahullinger.blogspot.com




Click for a Bagpipe Video





My personal favorite - this bus from Smith Village carried a number of World War II and Korean Veterans, including my father Clif Hullinger.



More about Clif's service in North Africa and Italy at: 



109thengineers34thdivision.blogspot.com





The group above are the Southsiders for Peace.  

southsidersforpeace.org


The dance group below showing some energetic moves.





I'm getting in just under the wire here for this holiday-related blog,
which deals in part with the Memorial Day Parade down Longwood Drive.  I'd love to hear what memories of that event others have, to see how they do or don't jibe with my own.

Thanks to all who have served, and absolute gratitude to those who paid for our freedoms with their lives.

Taffy Cannon, June '66
Carlsbad, California


Click below to read a blog post written by Taffy about Decoration Day:

thaliapressauthors.wordpress.com/2014/05/26/decoration-day


No comments:

Post a Comment