Apr 7, 2016

Andrew Bendel MPHS Jan 66 Rest in Peace

CHAMPAIGN – Andrew Alan Bendel, 68, of Champaign passed away at 1:57 a.m. Tuesday, March 29, 2016, at Carle Foundation Hospital, Urbana.

Funeral services will be at 1 p.m. Friday, April 8, at Morgan Memorial Home in Savoy, with the Rev. J. Michael Smith officiating. Burial will be in Mount Hope/Roselawn Cemetery. Visitation will be from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday at the funeral home.

Andy was born Nov 13, 1947, in Chicago, the son of Samuel and Sophie Zayka Bendel. He was preceded in death by his parents (Sam and Sophie) and sister, Susan Costello.

He received his undergraduate degree in communications from the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. Andy had a great passion for music, television and movies, and spent much of his work and personal life in those pursuits. He was most recently working as a cataloging librarian in the music library at UIUC. He had previously worked at WGN-TV, WILL-TV, WCCU-TV and the UIUC foundation. He had many interests, including a local film club, had a great fondness for his pets and enjoyed the thrill of theme parks, particularly Kings Island.

Andy cared greatly about his friends and was always willing to lend a hand of support whenever needed. He was the master of many voices, and even lent his voice to Hollywood as an announcer in the movie "The Babe."

Andy is survived by his niece, Kristen Costello of Champaign; a cousin, Marilyn (Roger) Niznik of New Lenox; and a close group of friends and colleagues that will miss him dearly.

Memorials may be made to the Champaign Urbana Theatre Company or the Station Theatre in his name.

Condolences may be offered online at www.morganmemorialhome.com













I am shocked and grieved to hear this news. The attached photo of Andy I took downstate in April of 2014 when I was at Ebertfest in Urbana. Andy was excitedly showing me all his 3-D videos. Also attached is a 1965 photo of Andy when he was making our first movie, “Dr. Inn”.

When I was there he seemed well and enthusiastic about the future. I will miss him.

Chuck Kuenneth





Andy was a gentleman, extremely talented and a very empathetic friend. I am truly sorry to hear of his passing.
I last saw him in 2002 at a mini-reunion in The Loop. It was so much fun to reconnect with him then.

I looked through my photos of that reunion and found one of Andy, Dave Innes and Eileen Kuenneth (Chuck's wife). We were at a restaurant in China town.

-Don Martensen

_________________

Andy was a one-of-a-kind personality .He liked to be made to laugh and to make you laugh. I had a lot of fun times with him and the gang throughout high school, and through college years and after. 

John Meeks

____________________________


My roommate at the U of I in our freshman year.
Both Andy and I are November 47 models.

Sad news and once again drives home that life comes with
no guarantees of how long we will be around so
appreciate every day,

Ray Justinic (66)

__________________

Saddens me that I didn’t reconnect. See y’all in a couple weeks.

Bob Hendry

_____________

So sorry to hear this sad news, another classmate of Jan 66, may the Lord watch over Andy.

Jim Miller

________________________


What a great friend who gave so much to others…. another sad loss.

Larry Herman

___________

Sad news and heartfelt condolences for those Andy left behind. I haven’t had the chance to connect with Andy since EMPEHI. Unfortunately this sort of news will be more common for us in the future.

So let me take this opportunity to thank you all for being great friends at EMPEHI. I have felt closer all along to my HS friends than college or business acquaintances, probably because we had more in common in the way of background, philosophy, experience and outlook coming from a rather homogeneous community which made us so comfortable together. Throughout my various moves, I have always thought of myself as a displaced Midwestener, and often wondered why I never moved back and reconnected with my roots.

So to each of you, thank you for being who you are, and best wishes. Know before it’s too late that you were and are much appreciated.

Best regards,

Allen Carlson
_________________





So sorry to hear about Andy's passing. He was very talented... I have fond memories of Brigadoon.

April Lais Wolf

















____________

Andy was great in Brigadoon.  And he was a great guy who really cared about other people.  We went all through grade and high school together.  He will be missed.

Craig Hullinger
___________________

Andy a classmate I will never forget! God Bless! 

Rest in Peace!

Jim Nesci

____________________

I don't think I saw Andy since high school but it still came as quite a shock. I like what Alan Carlson said and it goes the same for me. I always thought of myself as a midwesterner and still do. But I didn't want to deal with snow and cold so I moved further south but still in the middle of the country. Life is so unpredictable and with each passing link to my past, it becomes even more real. Thanks for letting me know about Andy. He seemed like a kind person - he died too young.

Sue Wiggins
_____________________

So sad to hear of Andy's passing.  Prayers of comfort to all his family and many friends who loved and respected his passion for life and laughter.
"Friendship is the golden thread that ties the heart of ALL the World."
                                                                John Evelyn
Barbara Schultz Rees
_________________


I was shocked and saddened to hear about Andy. We had many classes together, including Russian. He was an intelligent and kind young man and a good friend. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.


 Mirjana Bartl Siampos

__________________

So very sad... I did not realize his sister had passed too... I very much enjoyed that HS Brigadoon performance... May he rest on peace... My condolences to the family...

Maribeth Montgomery Kasik




Comments
Christine Leo Prayers for Andy and his family

Carol Macola After George Page's graduated, Andy took over the 1st chair clarinet and got us started , even when Mr. La was absent.

Kimberly Roy My condolences

David A McLain Was Andy also on the newspaper, Empehi News? I'm thinking he was. So sorry to hear.

Patricia Harris-Dokes PRAYING PEACE AND COMFORT FOR HIS FAMILY,

Cynthia Alexis Prayers for his family!

Jim Miller Sr. RIP Andy

Carol Hudson My condolences

Lynne D Mitchell Condolences

Marcia Hein Sad news.

Antonette Fefee RIP Andrew.

Sharon Wyche R.I.H!

Maribeth Montgomery Kasik Very sad news... My condolences to his family ...

Marie Buti I hope he's walking..out beyond...in fields of heather...

Charlie Van Liere May God be with him. He was a fine fellow.









1 comment:

  1. So very sad... I did not realize his sister had passed too... I very much enjoyed that HS Brigadoon performance... May he rest on peace... My condolences to the family... Maribeth EMPEHI '69

    ReplyDelete