Nov 18, 2015

Morgan Park Library - Walker Branch



In 1889, a wealthy business man named George Clarke Walker decided to build a library. The architect Charles S. Frost was entrusted with the job (Chicago Landmarks). When the building was finished, the library, materials, and land were donated to the Village of Morgan Park. In 1914, the City of Chicago annexed the village, and the library came under the control of the Chicago Public Library system as the third branch.

It is built in the Richardsonian Romanesque style, a revival style of architecture utilizing elements of French, Spanish, and Italian Romanesque styles. While the inside was completely renovated in 1995, the outside walls remain original and are the oldest structures owned by the Chicago library system.

http://www.chipublib.org/about-walker-branch/


__________________________________________________

My father took me to this library when I was about 8 years old. I was amazed at the grandeur of the building. It was enormous, with all the books in the world. I loved that library.

Years later as an adult I realized the building was small, old, musty and creaky. But I still love it.
Thanks for taking me there, Clif Hullinger.

Craig Hullinger



,



No comments:

Post a Comment