May 22, 2013

Chicago - Stormy, Husky, Brawling, City of the Big Shoulders




Chicago - Stormy, Husky, Brawling, City of the Big Shoulders

I am going to teach a class about Chicago in Sarasota, Florida. It is interesting to do the research - and it makes me think about all the great and good and bad things about our city. We will cover the history of the city and region, the politics, the corruption, the arts, the plans, and the achievements of the City. We will discuss current events. And we will relate the development of Chicago with other cities.

I hit on the idea of setting up the class with a blog serving as the class outline. I am developing the blog now for the course which I will teach in the fall of 2013. If anyone has a great idea for a topic that should be included send me an email with your thoughts.

The blog adress is chicagocityofbigshoulders.blogspot.com
If you see things I should include in the story please send me an email.


craighullinger@gmail.com










Make no little plans


Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will never die, but long after we are gone will be a living thing, asserting itself with ever-growing insistency. Remember that our sons and grandsons are going to do things that would stagger us. Let your watchword be order and your beacon beauty. Think big.

Daniel Burnham


CHICAGO

     HOG Butcher for the World,
     Tool Maker, Stacker of Wheat,
     Player with Railroads and the Nation's Freight Handler;
     Stormy, husky, brawling,
     City of the Big Shoulders:
They tell me you are wicked and I believe them, for I
     have seen your painted women under the gas lamps
     luring the farm boys.
And they tell me you are crooked and I answer: Yes, it
     is true I have seen the gunman kill and go free to


     kill again.
And they tell me you are brutal and my reply is: On the
     faces of women and children I have seen the marks
     of wanton hunger.
And having answered so I turn once more to those who
     sneer at this my city, and I give them back the sneer
     and say to them:
Come and show me another city with lifted head singing
     so proud to be alive and coarse and strong and cunning.
Flinging magnetic curses amid the toil of piling job on
     job, here is a tall bold slugger set vivid against the
     little soft cities;
Fierce as a dog with tongue lapping for action, cunning
     as a savage pitted against the wilderness,
          Bareheaded,
          Shoveling,
          Wrecking,
          Planning,
          Building, breaking, rebuilding,
Under the smoke, dust all over his mouth, laughing with
     white teeth,
Under the terrible burden of destiny laughing as a young
     man laughs,
Laughing even as an ignorant fighter laughs who has
     never lost a battle,
Bragging and laughing that under his wrist is the pulse.
     and under his ribs the heart of the people,
               Laughing!
Laughing the stormy, husky, brawling laughter of
     Youth, half-naked, sweating, proud to be Hog
     Butcher, Tool Maker, Stacker of Wheat, Player with
     Railroads and Freight Handler to the Nation.

Carl Sandburg



Frank Sinatra - Chicago - YouTube

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoKn7vkSMBc

 Chicago, Chicago--that toddlin' town



Chicago gains in global cities ranking

Chicago is the 6th most influential city in the world according to a recent study. Chicago followed New York, London, Tokyo, Paris and Hong Kong. The ranking shows the influence a city has beyond its own borders.                 Click to read more:                        Click to See the Rankings:





No comments:

Post a Comment