A Blog for the 1960's Classes of Morgan Park High School (EMPEHI) in Chicago
Aug 28, 2022
Thanks to Larry Herman MPHS Jan 66 for sharing the photo above on Facebook.
Evergreen Plaza 95th Street and Western Avenue
The Plaza opened in 1952 and was developed by Arthur Rubloff. The open air mall was anchored by two grocery stores with shops. Other stores included The Fair, Woolworth’s, Lytton’s and Walgreens. Chas A. Stevens, an upscale small department store chain based in Chicago, opened in 1962, and Carson Pirie Scott followed not long after. In the 1970s The Fair store became Montgomery Ward. The mall was enclosed in 1966 and was expanded several times.
When it opened it was a premier shopping center in the Chicagoland area and was a destination mall for many years, courting shoppers from all over the area. Competition from larger suburban shopping centers caused its decline.